Magyar Tudomanyos Akademia Szamitastechnikai es Automatizalasi Kutatointezet (SZTAKI) was founded in the early sixties as a research and development institution of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. The Institute gained worldwide reputation in computer graphics, computer-aided design and manufacturing, process control, robotics, operations research, numerical methods, advanced information systems and networking. SZTAKI is a member of the World-Wide-Web Consortium and ERCIM (European Research Consortium of Informatics and Mathematics). SZTAKI with the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation (Stuttgart, Germany) and Fraunhofer Austria Division for Production and Logistics Management established the Fraunhofer Project Center for Production Management and Informatics in 2010. SZTAKI runs industrial projects with distinguished partners, including the Nuclear Power Plant (Paks GE Hungary), IBM, Motorola, Nokia, MOL, Mtelekom, and KNORR BREMSE GmbH. Our senior researchers are also very active in the management and in the working committees of various international scientific organisations, such as CIRP, IFAC, and IFIP. Many researchers are members of editorial boards of leading international scientific periodicals. The international reputation of the Institute is reflected in its prestigious title of “Centre of Excellence” in Information technology, computer science and control given by the EU in 2000. The main scientific activities of SZTAKI are concentrated in the following units:
- Laboratories - Cellular Sensory and Wave Computing; Computer Integrated Manufacturing; Geometric Modelling and Computer Vision; Informatics; Parallel and Distributed Systems; Engineering & Management Intelligence; Systems and Control
- Department - Distributed Systems; ELearning; Quality Management; System Development; Internet Applications; Internet Technology; Network Security
- Groups - Distributed Events Analysis Research; Discrete Structures; Machine Learning Research; Machine-Supported Understanding Research; Process Control Research; Stochastic Systems Research; Media Technology.
SZTAKI has a strong experience to coordinate National ICT programs, such as:
- Web2Agent: To develop an interface technology that enables the creation of a communication layer atop a given Internet information source that serves as a FIPA-compliant agent gateway so the Internet information source becomes accessible to the agent world, too.
- DemoGRID: The scientific and research institutes connect their clusters and supercomputers using high-speed network connections by unifying their resources in the GRID.
- Sintagma: Development and experimental application of a novel information integration technology which includes conceptual level integration and is based on virtual database management in distributed and grid architectures.
SZTAKI also actively engaged in different international Projects, such as the projects within the framework programmes:
- JUMAS - Judicial management by digital libraries semantics
- LAWA - Longitudinal Analytics of Web Archive data
- LIWA - Living web archives
- S-CUBE - European Network of Excellence in Software Services and Systems
- Agentlink - European Coordination Action for Agent-Based Computing
- PROVENANCE - Enabling and Supporting Provenance in Grids for Complex Problems
- K4CARE- Knowledge-based homecare eServices for an ageing Europe
- CALIBRATE - Calibrating eLearning in schools
- ELU - eLearning Unlimited
- SHIWA - SHaring Interoperable Workflows for large-scale scientific simulations on Available DCIs
- EDGI - European Desktop Grid Initiative
- DEGISCO - Desktop Grids for International Scientific Collaboration
EGI-InSPIRE - European Grid Initiative: Integrated Sustainable Pan-European Infrastructure for Researchers in Europe